Thursday, January 22, 2009

Discussion of Deep Justice in a Broken World

Hello all!



This is Andrew Stern and Paul Patterson's first attempt at blogging...Have patience!



The framework...We're inviting folks to read through Kara Powell and Chap Clark's book Deep Justice in a Broken World. Paul and I will be blogging our comments and throwing out some questions to whoever's out there.



The time layout...



February 15...Chapters 1 & 2

March 1...Chapters 3 & 4

March 15...Chapters 5 & 6

April 1...Chapters 7 & 8

April 15...Chapters 9 & 10

May 1...Chapters 11 & 12



The format if primarily for leaders who are coming to join New City Fellowship and Restore St. Louis' Summer Urban Teams (http://restorestlouis.org/workteams/index.asp) for 2009 but we're open to other folks who want to join the discussion.



God's grace to you,



Andrew Stern

5 comments:

  1. Checking to see if my account is set up right. I started the book several months back, but need to go back and refresh my memory in the next couple months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrew, I just finished 1 and 2 and love the Gary Haugen qoute on page 22. Their road analogy is an easy to work with picture and I might consider creating a little demo picture of it. The service vs. justice list on pg 15-16 is a simple, key comparison.

    When we join NCF we serve alongside of you. can you share some deep justice stories?

    Mike "Dr. Vinny Bones" Collison

    ReplyDelete
  3. One other observation about the real-life kids. I think it is great that there are some 13-17 year old who really get it and and are willing to pursue justice initiatives while still in high school.

    I disagree that these kids are ordinary. They are exceptional and the rare exception. This is not to discredit the service efforts and intentions of the average American youth group kid.

    Each student develops socially, intellectually, physically, and spiritually at a different rate. Add a healthy dose of American consumerism and it is difficult to find kids ready to go sacrificially deep.

    Having said this, I'm not excusing poor service or lack of justice work, but simply acknowledging that there are challenging limits and realities that constrain us.

    I work hard to call students to spend themselves on behalf of others and a few will. I see greater results from my alums in college.

    Mike "Up Nort'" Collison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Mike!
    Agreed...not everyone is going to make a full-length movie about sterotypes in their high school (seems to me you might have!). I'd love if you all did a short on the analogy of the cracks in the road... I'll be posting a deep justice story on our neighborhood bar at some point here.
    Grace,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished our Super Bowl halftime/St. Louis fundraiser film The Josh scenes stole the show. I'm intending to come work March 13-15 with our college/adult crew, so I'll bring a few copies. I like the idea. Let me chew on it. Perhaps my friend.

    ReplyDelete