Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Hole in Our Gospel: Introduction

"What does God expect of us? That's what this book is about."

Richard Stearns answers his opening question in the introduction a few sentences later with the statement: "God asks us for everything."

This is a frightening statement for many people (including me!). Many churches and church leaders desire to qualify this statement. Jesus doesn't:

Anyone who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. (Mt. 10:37-39)

No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. (Mt. 6:24)
The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it. (Mt. 13:44-46)
Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments. (Mt. 22:37-40)

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels. (Mk.8:34-38)

What do you think about this statement: "God asks us for everything"?

Is it "enough" to say you are willing to give God everything but not really give him everything? What does it mean to give God everything? Reflect on the parable of the two sons in Matthew 21:28-32.

No comments:

Post a Comment